2/19/2010

FW: Sweet Pea Farm Update 11/6

 

 


From: Stacy Murphy [mailto:hppsco@optonline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:57 PM
To: Stacy Murphy
Subject: Fw: Sweet Pea Farm Update 11/6

 

 

----- Original Message -----

From: Stacy Murphy

Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:49 PM

Subject: Sweet Pea Farm Update 11/6

 

Well - here we are - it is almost winter here in Redding - we are expecting snow flurries on Thursday. I had my titanium plate put in my shoulder on October 11th, and I am almost completely back to normal again. The surgery went very well, but "mighty mouse" was knocked on her butt, in bed, completely wiped out, for an entire week. I had wonderful friends who helped out with a variety of needs for me from mucking out the sheep stall, taking me to appointments, and bringing me food. I am very relieved to be active and able to do chores, work and construction again in such a short period of time after the surgery!

 

The temp has fallen as low as 29 degrees here at night, a hard frost on the ground, a heavy ice coating on the cars, grass blades, and remaining leaves. Everything is crispy and sparkly, with your breath puffs hanging in the frigid air.  The leaves and colors this fall have been the most beautiful, and the longest change of colors I have seen in decades. The glorious blue skies with the contrasting golds, reds and oranges have been stunning this year! It is now sadly drawing to a close.

 

Willie and Rosie having basically 4 sweaters built into their bodies, find the chilly temps quite invigorating, and have been racing around the entire meadow, full tilt - as fast as they can - jumping and bucking the whole way. Well, actually Rosie does most of the running, Willie, - is well -  just Willie! He just kind of follows - meanders along - where Rosie takes after her owner - the "ever ready energizer bunny" doing everything as fast as she can, full speed. When she runs - she "floats" through the air, bouncing, springing, and her head bobbles to and fro- like the little dashboard bobble dolls for cars - it is hysterical - I keep meaning to buy a video camera for all to see - they both look exactly like cotton balls - springing through the air with stilts for legs. Those of you who have seen it, know exactly what I have written. I am laughing as I type this, seeing Rosie as we speak, running. My friend who is also a miniature sheep owner states the running is done by her female as well, and her male just meanders too - it must be a "girl" and a "guy" thing.

 

They are better than dogs - Rosie is very verbal, baas when anyone arrives. I can hear this inside my house, she is my doorbell, and I know when I need to greet someone at the door. The come running when you call out to them, wanting to be petted. They both continue to gain weight, I have not weighed them lately due to my shoulder surgery, but I can tell you they are getting, finally, thank goodness, quite chubby.

 

Both sheep have lost their little lamb appearance. Their snouts have lengthened and changed in shape. I have included photos for comparison. Willie, has incredibly changed the most in appearance. His entire jaw line and nose has lengthened, become very square, and actually has wrinkles of chubbiness on his nose. It is quite cute. As far as their temperament, well, watch out! They are bratty teenagers right now- and quite a handful.

 

Rosie went from "Miss Snuggles" - to a pre-Madonna princess and "EXCUSE ME, but don't touch my beautiful hair, you will muss it up" attitude! I am lucky if I can get a hand on her at all. Willie is a momma's boy - loves to be scratched under his chin. HOWEVER, this past week, he is flexing his Macho-ism, he is a MALE RAM you know, un-neutered, and he is strutting his stuff with Rosie. SHE belongs to him, and he has made it known. I might end up having babies in the Spring, I will have to watch Rosie now like a hawk to see if she starts gaining more weight. I don't get it - Willie is so much smaller and shorter than Rosie - but they figured out how to utilize the hillside - little devils - where he stands taller than her - smart?!!

 

They both rival for my attention, if I am in the pen or meadow - they are both pulling, chewing, tugging on my clothes, camera, food cup or whatever I have on me. I am literally pulled in 2 directions trying to give attention to both my babies. Willie's new game, which can be annoying, is head butting. I have scolded him, pushed him away, talked buttery cooing noises to him, all to no avail. He is a RAM, and that is what they do.

 

Luckily he weighs very little, but imagine my surprise when I was bent over in the pen, cleaning the stall floor, and I get butted, in the butt. It was a slight nudge, but nonetheless, it still caught me off guard. Willie thinks it is funny. Actually, it is funny, as he is so tiny, his charging accomplishes nothing. He will back up 3 feet, wiggle his rear end,  lower his head, look at you with his little nubs horns from under his eyebrows, and charge you 3 feet, race up to you, then stop, look at you, and run away. He knows I don't like it, and does it to me every time I look at him cross-eyed. I have to laugh, he pulls on my heartstrings - I love my little Willie. He doesn't like anything black I have figured out, he thinks its a threat. Black trash bags, black cameras, black clothing, he butts, paws and charges it. I have taken a photo of him trying to charge the camera - they are so curious now it is difficult to get a shot as they are chasing me across the field as I am clicking the shutter! Unfortunately - his horns were supposed to be "culled" or nipped when he was young, but true to the decrepit farms reputation where they came from, his horns appear to be growing. Poor Willie.

 

I had to take a break from construction for a couple weeks during my recovery from the surgery, but we have another "list" and I am plugging away at it once again! The Mexican boys cleaned the garage and organized it. Both motorcycles have been trailored away to be fixed and repainted, to be sold to the highest bidder. I have a chimney/wood stove cleaner coming, plumber coming to fix the heat on the first floor. Window cleaning crew, both vehicles detailed this week, stockade fencing is going up as we speak. All the boxes have been moved from the basement into the house, I will finally for the first time, unpack my belongings in 8 months since I bought the house. My bedroom has been set up, upstairs, curtains, shades, and all the bath fixtures will be done this week too. Cedar closets will be done, clothes finally pulled off racks. Prime and paint outside of house where new wood trim and shingles were added. All my furniture has been moved out of the garage, cleaned and put in the house as well. The walk in aviary for the finches will be moved and reconstructed soon for all to see. Things are slowly coming along! I can't wait to start sorting, simplifying, and throwing things away. Moving is awful, construction is worse, and I hate clutter and chaos.

 

Lots of fun photos for all to see in the progress!

 

Ashby and I went to NYC on Halloween to see Sting and the Police sing at Madison Square Garden. We ate good chowder, got pushed around in a peddle pusher buggy twice, (taking our lives in our hands) and had lots of laughs, and had a blast watching sexy Sting strut his stuff! We wore goofy outfits - it was freezing - so that didn't work out very well. For all of you who do not know, as someone made reference to a photo, I have cut my hair short now - love it - see pics.

 

We have close to 70 people on our Sweet Pea Farm update email list - all of you have indicated you love the updates - and seem to get quite upset when I don't send one out! Tell you friends, Willie and Rosie love visitors, we would all love to see you visit Sweet Pea Farm!

 

Enjoy!

 

oxoxox

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment